Thursday, January 21, 2016

What do you think ?

We had some tough conversations on the bus today after visiting the Sunflower County Freedom Project in Mississippi. Some of us were struck by the gap in privilege between our schools and what we learned about the schools of the Mississippi kids. Some of us wanted to stop talking about privilege and start taking action. I ended up not knowing what to think.

Lurking behind some of the discussions are unasked questions: Is it wrong for some people to have more opportunities and money than other people? Do people who have more also have an obligation to share their privilege? Intuitively, I answer both questions with a yes, but don't we have a right to do whatever we choose with our money?


I was (and still am) feeling horribly confused about all the opinions that people expressed so passionately. Then, a great thing happened. Someone on the bus seat across from me turned to me and asked: “What do you think?" I didn't really know what I thought, but I had been a fitful observer of the main discussion on the bus, and I suddenly felt included. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask someone that question and find out what they're thinking.

Clara Brill-Carlat, The Park School of Baltimore 

No comments:

Post a Comment