Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Deciding our own future and happiness

Yesterday was a very emotional day for me. Everything seemed to hit me at once. At our first stop we got a surprise visit from Mr. Anthony Hinton, a victim of a very corrupt judicial system in the south. Mr. Hinton was out away for 30 years on a crime he did not commit, and a good portion of those years were spent on death row. His story was very painful to listen to. It hurt me that people could take someone's life away from that, but the hardest thing to do while he was speaking, was watch his facial expressions and the hurt that was in his eyes. Aside from feeling very said while hearing Mr. Hinton spoke I also felt very empowered that day. We had the opportunity to visit a confederate cemetery, as we turned the corner I began to feel sick because all saw was a field of confederate flags flying high, it disgusted me. But, the minute I got off the bus I walked up close to one and I touched it. It was as if I took the power away from it and there was nothing anybody could do about it. I touched the flag because I decided not to be afraid anymore. I touched the flag because it doesn't mean anything if I don't let it. 


Kelsey Curtis, The Park School of Baltimore

No comments:

Post a Comment