Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Face of Emmett Till

Today, I saw an image of Emmett Till's face after his body was found. He was beaten, shot, and dumped in a river, supposedly after whistling at or flirting with a white woman. He was 14.
The first time I saw the image was on the way to Greensboro, North Carolina, in a documentary about sit-ins called “February One." Luckily, the image remained on the screen for several seconds, allowing me to try to figure out where Emmett's features were. I couldn't find his eyes or his mouth. His face was deformed and discolored in crusty blotches, like he had been a test dummy in a fire. Only his nose enabled me to orient his face in my mind and figure out where the rest of his features should have been.

The second time I saw the image, hanging on a wall in the International Civil Rights Center and Museum in Greensboro, I wasn't any more prepared than I had been during the documentary. Again, Emmett's nose was all I could comprehend. (In fact, the only way people were able to recognize his body was by a ring on his hand.) In the picture, he was wearing a white dress shirt; the picture must have been taken at his funeral. The shirt was so clean compared to his ruined face. His mom made sure that the funeral was open-casket so that everyone could see what people, feeling self-righteous and empowered by racism, had done to him. I was shocked to learn that he was only 14; I even double-checked with Google while writing this. Online, I found a picture of a young, round-faced boy who looked nothing like that face I had seen in the documentary and the museum.

In English class this past semester, I read part of a piece by Ta-Nehisi Coates. He said some people forget that racism takes the form of the violent destruction of black bodies. Emmett Till was viciously murdered. I'm starting to understand a little better what Coates was saying.


 Clara Brill-Carlat, Park School

No comments:

Post a Comment