Monday, January 18, 2016

Bad religion

I'm a secular girl. I do not have a religion nor do I particularly care for having a religion. I am not an Atheist, I do in fact believe in a "higher power" so to speak, but not enough to claim any religion. You can probably guess that I wasn't elated to be going into a church. When I got in I automatically was filled with euphoria. The melodious tones of the choir and the truthful words from the pastor made me think a bit differently about where I stand within myself and my religion or lack thereof. I could fully understand why African Americans went to church for solace during the Civil Rights Movement. The unity and the sense of pure community were not only uplifting to me spiritually, but mentally as well. Afterwards, I realized that having a religion is not as bad as I thought. It's more than just attending church services, owning a bible, and claiming you're a Christian. It's about knowing whom you're standing for, and how you plan to prosper and help others prosper.  


Rachelle Ojo, Hope High School. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved your comment about religion - When you find the way you want to worship it can be very peaceful. Also, talking to what you would call a higher power is very freeing. Sometimes, that is all we have, but it is a foundation to build on to better times or things. Reader of your blog - Natalie

    ReplyDelete