Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Bravery

I think one of the most interesting parts of this trip is that we get to meet so many people who were involved in the civil rights movement. It's incredible to hear their stories and one thing that has stood out to me is their lack of fear. Many of the people that we've spoken to have talked about how they were not afraid to die. It's crazy to hear when people say that they stopped being afraid at age 9 or 10 because looking back to myself at 9 or 10, I don't think I was willing to die for any movement. I still am not sure if I have a cause that I would die for. When Catherine Burks Brooks talked about having an almost friendly conversation with Bull Connor, who had just arrested her for integrating a greyhound bus, I am astounded by her immense courage. To be involved in a movement, march, or protest is one thing, and is very brave, but to smile in the face of the man who turned fire hoses on children; that is an entirely different level of brave. I hope one day I can find a cause I care about that much, and have courage to fight for it, like these activists did. 


Julia Bainum, Baltimore City College

No comments:

Post a Comment