Saturday, January 16, 2016

Civil Rights Museum: KKK and Will Brown

In the bottom floor of the International Civil Rights Museum, I was immediately confronted by the illuminated KKK robe and mask in the right corner of the room. My first response was to make a disgusted noise, and following that I got the chills. I have seen the KKK attire in documentaries before, but never this up close and personal. It made me feel severely uncomfortable and even a little bit scared. Just to think of the horrors that this organization causes and the numerous horrible connotations that come along with it. I was truly astonished by how real everything felt and how emotionally provoking the experience was.

This was then followed by a picture of Will Brown, who was dragged behind a truck, hung, shot 500 times and then burned for allegedly raping a woman and killing her husband. Although this was unrelated to the KKK exhibit, it drew out similar emotions of disgust, frustration, fear, and sadness.
Overall, the stop at the International Civil Rights Museum was very emotional, interesting, knowledgeable, and thought-provoking. I hope I will continue to have similar powerful experiences throughout the trip.  
              

Emily Berner, Park School

No comments:

Post a Comment