Thursday, January 21, 2016

Letting Go !

Before we go on the civil rights trip we are told that there will be a moment when everything hits us and we will be overcome with emotion. That moment happened to me tonight and the predominant feeling I felt was anger. I felt angry that our ancestors thought it was acceptable to dehumanize an entire race for such a long period of time. I felt angry that the same oppression from 50 years ago has only manifested itself in different ways in our country. I felt angry that white supremacy is masked through institutions such as the prison industrial complex. I felt angry that white feelings are still prioritized and protected. I felt angry that as a nation we know so much yet we do so little. I felt angry that people defend and justify their privilege yet fail to claim it and use it for something good. I felt angry that white guilt prevents productive conversations. I felt angry, but if this trip has taught me one thing, it is the importance of letting go. The family of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was able to let go of hatred and forgive the murderer of MLK's mother. Mr. Anthony Hinton was able to let go of the hatred he had in his heart towards the people and system that took 30 years of his life away from him. If so many people can let go of such tragic events, then I can too. We get so wrapped up in our anger and hatred that we don't even realize that it is anger and hatred that hinder progress. Our frustration and anger and pain need to be put into making change rather than causing more strife. 


Leah Balter, Baltimore City College

No comments:

Post a Comment