Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Confrontation with Hate

This morning I came face to face with hate: at least a historic representation of it. Up against a dark wall in the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute stood a glass case holding a KKK uniform and burnt wooden cross. Something drew me to the case and a feeling of pure hatred washed over me. I had nothing but hate to feel while looking into the empty eyeholes of the white robe uniform. I could imagine eyes starting out of those holes, eyes just radiating with hate and injustice. I stood there as I felt hate towards this robe, towards the person who had the audacity to don it, towards the evil for which it stands for. I don't think I have ever felt such hate or anger towards anything, and I don't know why I felt it then. But there I stood, facing hate:  my own hate towards that cloak and the the hateful reputation that the cloak has maintained throughout history. As I reflect back on this now, less than a day after, it still puzzles me. I have no explanation for the hate I felt and maybe that is fine, but it alarmed me that I felt it. Something about that moment and the feelings circulating through me is forever etched in my mind. I don't think I will ever be able to forget the expression on my face and the boiling sensation in me.


Rebbeca Margolis, The Park School of Baltimore

No comments:

Post a Comment