Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A movement? But why are you stationary?

Today was probably the most influential day on this trip, and it isn't over yet. Anthony Ray Hinton impacted my life with in the hour and thirty minutes we were there for. I could relate to him because I too have been wrongfully accused by the law, all though in my case I was lucky to make it home to see my mother, in his case he was not so lucky. He was locked up for 30 years for a crime he did not commit. I don’t like when 30 minutes of my life is wasted, I couldn't imagine 30 years. But yet he still manages to forgive the people who have did that to him. How can one manage the magnitude of 30 years of anger and still be so forgiving. I'd hate the world, but he elaborated that it wasn't the world who did it, but a few racist white men, and if you don't forgive them, you won't be able to live as well holding the grudge. The forgiveness isn't for them but for yourself, for your sanity. 


Later that day we spent some time with a man by the name of Kirk Carrington. This man was our tour guide but with a civil rights historical background. I set aside to talk to him while everyone was loading the bus or purchasing t-shirts. We discussed what could be some causes for why my generation is as degenerate as they are. I then took a breath and threw myself out there as I spoke to him about my idea to mentor the youth of my city and too seek change for Baltimore. He uplifted my idea, and told me what I was doing and was planning to do was great. He said he would be praying for me and hopes that everything goes well. After seeing what I've saw on this trip, and learning all that I have. It is only right that I do my part in the modern day civil rights movement by pushing my movement for a better Baltimore. 

Louis Dixon, City Neighbors High School 

No comments:

Post a Comment