Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Believing in MLK

On our bus rides yesterday, we watched a documentary about the Civil Rights events in Selma, and we also watched part of the movie Selma. It felt so much better to watch Selma than the documentary because, in Selma (the movie), it seemed like Martin Luther King, Jr. could fix so many people's problems. It was nice to have faith in him, even though I know from the documentary and our time in Selma that King and the Civil Rights Movement were both complicated and imperfect. For example, there was conflict between King's followers and SNCC, even though both groups were working towards the same goals.

I find it comforting to think of Martin Luther King, Jr. as strong and all knowing, even if he was just another human like I am. In all the pictures I've seen of him, he looks strong; the only exception was an unnerving photo in the Center for Civil and Human Rights that showed King collapsed on the ground after being shot. I've found myself wishing that King were still alive and that we could ask him what it was like to try to be so strong.


Clara Brill-Carlat, The Park School of Baltimore 

No comments:

Post a Comment