Thursday, January 21, 2016

Optimistic towards the future

Today I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet with the students of the Sunflower Freedom project in the Mississippi Delta. This amazing facility was inspired by the the many freedom schools developed during the Civil Rights Movement, with the goal of educating African American students on social, economic, and political inequality. Like these many freedom schools, the Sunflower Project is focused on creating the future leaders of the Mississippi Delta.

For me this experience was very refreshing because rather than focusing on the "lack of privilege", I was more concerned about getting to know the students as individuals. I was deeply inspired by the connection between the students and mentors in this program. I was exposed to not only a limitlessness amount of support and love but also a system of hard work. I was pleased to see the many academic and extracurricular activities offered such as, study session, gardening, and art classes. These students have shown a great appreciation of where they are from, something I hope to take away with me on this trip. These students have expressed the greatest strength of being optimistic towards the future, regardless of the limitations or boundaries they may face.


Chevell Burgess, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment