Monday, January 18, 2016

Sankofa

Today felt like an expansion of the world that I thought I once knew. I was thrown through the portals of time, back in time to a place so different from my own. Pulled through the portal of time, I was brought to a home so big and grand. With lavish wallpaper, tables and chairs made of mahogany, and grand pianos. All these things were fit for a king. I felt as if the home were speaking to me with its grandeur, it was telling me something. A message I may not be able to comprehend now. When I had to leave the portals of time, I was suddenly thrown back into my harsh reality of our world. But, this journey was all for not. The word "Sankofa" came to me. The African bird of resurrection who says that you must "Look back to move forward."


Anthony Wilson, City Neighbors High School

No comments:

Post a Comment