Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Fear


When we spoke to Mr. Kirk Carrington he mentioned that he felt like young people today were inflicting more pain upon each other than the white man did upon our ancestors long ago. That was when it hit me. I expected to feel a lot of things during this trip but I never expected to feel fear. I felt afraid for my future, my family and my friends. I agreed with Aicha when she spoke about the story we read about the Omar Dia who moved to from Senegal to US during the 90's in hope of seeking the American dream, but was brutally murdered upon arriving at the US because he was "too black." My parents moved to the US for the same reason. They moved here in search of opportunity and freedom. I couldn't help but feel afraid, afraid that at any moment my life or the life of someone close to me might be taken away at any time. 

Hafzat Akanni, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment