Thursday, January 21, 2016

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" Martin Luther King Jr. This quote was the one thing that keep running through my mind, at my time spent in the sunflower county community fellows center . Coming to Mississippi made me really appreciate what I have taken granted of on a daily basis. I never thought that I should be as grateful, I feel like I really need to make a difference. Seeing them in that little town and hearing them talking about how there schools are still segregated because they don't have the money to pay for private schools. I was shocked when one of the boys said that he was upset that they still have segregated proms. That just made me realize that we are still not done equality is still not served. We no longer face racism in the form of physical beating to death or lynching. But we face racism in other forms of oppression like the school to jail pipeline and black on black crime. I feel like the biggest reason for this is unequal education. Schools today are still pretty much segregated because the Wealthy go to private, charter, or better schools that's are kept better because their schools have more support and money from the community. They are more then likely majority white. Then sadly the middle class and poor students end up in public schools that are not cared for in usually bad areas or filled with students from bad areas, and they are usually minority's. This was a moment of reconciliation for me because I began to notice that these kids have very scarce resources to get to college, and many students like me don't realize all the opportunities we have, and how much easier it is for us, we take that for granted. I left Mississippi knowing that I had a vow to myself to use the resources I have to help others in need.


Evangeline Bemah-Stokes, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment