Wednesday, January 20, 2016

We are the Change


After speaking with Ms. Cleopatra Goree, Ms. Catherine Burks- Brooks, Ms. Barbara Mines and Mr. Roscoe Jones I realized that we are the change. We are the generation that needs to lift America from the sea of inequality, abundant in racial intolerance to an elevated platform of unity and justice.  Although the hard part has already been done, and the fight has already been won, our journey is not over. We are not finished. Our ancestors planted seeds for us, seeds that now have blossomed into beautiful gardens of righteousness. And we have to utilize this righteousness to motivate us and take a stand for social justice. We have come a long way but we still have yet a long way to go. I want to be able to live comfortably, in assurance that like Martin Luther King Jr. said, that I am not being judged by the color of my skin but by the content of my character. Although I am aware that it is impossible to completely cleanse mankind of the negativity that bestows us, I believe that we can come close. I want to be part of the change/movement that helps achieve equity and unity for people of color.  

Hafzat Akanni, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment