Saturday, January 16, 2016

Emmett Till

The International Civil Rights Center and Museum presented a large amount of interesting artifacts and images. In particular, the image of the mutilated body of Emmett Till stood out to me the most. Never have I seen a body so badly brutalized before today. Till's scars, so deep in meaning and size symbolized extreme dehumanization and hatred. Although I have read books that talked about traumatizing violence such as the one experienced by Till, I was shocked to see what lengths human beings would go to in order to prove a point, moreover I was shocked to see what lengths human beings would go to in order to instill fear in their own brothers and sisters. Till's story opened my eyes to a lot. I see now why the Greensboro Four were motivated by so many things going on at the time, such as Till's death, to carry out the Sit-In's. Had I lived during the era of the Civil Rights Movement and saw those images of violated young 14 year old Emmett Till, I too would have been urged to display courage and bravery. The Greensboro four were among the prominent civil rights activists to take the first steps in motivating future generations such as people like myself, people short with confidence and voice to be able to speak up (even if it means not using words) and take action for social justice. 

Hafzat Akanni, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment