Monday, January 18, 2016

Skeptical about Church

I definitely loved it in Atlanta! Initially I was very skeptical going to church because of my own past experiences of feeling unwelcomed. However my expectations were proven wrong. My experience at the historical Ebenezer Baptist Church was a journey in itself. The first thing I noticed and felt was how nurturing and caring everyone is towards total strangers. Coming in as a large group from different states, we were greeted with warm welcomes from individuals throughout the church. I felt very wanted and even accepted. Here I was, a total stranger and other strangers to me acknowledged my presence and took the first step to make me feel for comfortable and at home. 
In addition to having felt a warm welcoming hand, I was very happy to finally see a working and functional spiritual community. I noticed that the church has a strong obligation to the community. The pastor talked about how we as one must give back and understand our position in society. He forced the importance of bettering one another before ourselves. I found that this church lacks bias perspectives, something I truly appreciate.


Chevell Burgess, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment