Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ebenezer Baptist Church

My experience so far on this trip has been full of a new perspective of the civil rights movement. When I first began learning about the civil rights movement I never felt like I had the best understanding, because I was just reading words off pages. So far my favorite experience was visiting Ebenezer Baptist Church. As soon as I walked in I understood why churches was a common gathering place. It was filled with faith to overcome and acceptance of all people. This was the first time I was emotional in a while. When we joined hands right over left and began signing together "we shall overcome", I broke down. I was overwhelmed with tears of joy. It really felt like I was able to go back in time and actually feel like I was there. There with the people of the movement, there with them through the struggle, but also there with them threw the triumph.

Evangeline Bemah-Stokes, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment