Saturday, January 16, 2016

Hall of Shame

For me, one of the most profound parts of the International Civil Rights Museum was realizing the absolute horror of the violence committed against African Americans and other civil rights activists. In school we have learned about the KKK and the cross burnings, lynchings, and beatings. I thought I had a basic understanding of the violence but there were things I couldn't have even imagined.

The Hall of Shame at the museum had pictures of some of the atrocities committed against just a few people. To see pictures of Will Brown's mangled body after he was dragged by a truck, hung, shot, and burned; of Emmett Till's mother's expression when she found out her son's fate; of white men smiling at the sight of a lynching and bringing their sons along to watch - was more horrifying than words can express. It made me realize that we have been sheltered from these details in school. It also made me think about how so many people involved in the movement had no choice, as their lives were already at risk.

While I was writing this reflection on the bus, we drove by a store flying the confederate flag. I've seen confederate flags around Baltimore before, but having just seen pictures of Klan members carrying that flag as they burn torches on people's lawns, it really hit me. I was astounded that anyone could still have so much hate. The sight just reminded me that there is still so much progress to be made.

Julia Bainum, City College

No comments:

Post a Comment