Thursday, January 21, 2016

Sunflower County Freedom Project

Unfortunately due to some slow milkshake making we were 45 minutes late to the Sunflower County Freedom Project. None of us really knew what we were getting ourselves into, all we knew is that we were asked to research the economics, demographics, and education in Sunflower County and the Mississippi Delta. A very friendly face greeted us as we walked into the building, which was colorful and smelled like a farm, but a nice smelling farm. For about ten minutes we spoke about the SCFP initiative, which consisted of helping kids study, socialize, exercise, and garden - things that we all may take for granted at several points in our lives. We were brought into a room where we played a game in order to bond with the 7th-12th graders that attend this program after school from Monday-Thursday. After the game we began to compare our everyday lives with theirs, and the vast differences that I saw from no extra curriculum other than football and basketball to the closest movie theater being an hour and a half away were eye opening. I always knew how privileged and blessed I was to be able to attend school where I can play three sports and participate in numerous clubs, but this put it into another perspective. Seeing how much the participants were excited at how many activities I had access to be heartbreaking. It was beautiful to me seeing how eager they were just to have a proper education and go to college, and it finally makes me appreciate all of what I have. Today was life changing and I know that I 100% want to return to SCFP at some point in my life to help and learn from them myself.


-Emily Berner, The Park School of Baltimore 

No comments:

Post a Comment